Boulder City Magazine is a monthly publication full of information about Boulder City and Southern Nevada. Boulder City Magazine features the Boulder City Home Guide, a real estate guide to Boulder City and Southern Nevada.




Home Care
by Scott Sauer
Advanced Structural Inspections

Mold
Continuing on our list of the top five allergens, let’s talk once again about number five – Mold. It is a natural part of our environment. Its main role in the ecosystem is to break down dead materials. It is the “BIO” in biodegradable.

Without fungi, the earth would be full of dead things such as dead leaves, trees, insects and animals. The same enzymes that help fungi to break down wastes and dead organisms also degrade wood, fiber and food. Molds cause great damage to stored goods and building materials each year. These same molds cause problems in housing and affect the health of the residents.

Mold growth can often be seen in the form of a discoloration or stain. Many colors are possible: White, orange, pink, blue, green, black or brown. When molds are present and growing in large quantities they become a health concern. Molds can generally be divided into 3 groups based on their heath effects: Allergenic, Pathogenic and Toxic.

Allergenic molds can cause allergic or asthmatic symptoms such as wheezing or runny nose and rarely produce life-threatening effects. Pathogenic molds can cause serious health effects in persons with decreased immune function-such as with chemotherapy or AHIZV/AIDS. A normal, healthy individual can usually resist such infections. Toxins are poisonous substances produced by living things. Those produced from mold can cause serious health effects in almost anybody. These effects can include irritation, immune system problems and even cancer.

Molds tend to affect young children, older adults, and individuals with decreased immune functions. The symptoms may include nasal and sinus congestion, difficulty breathing, burning, watery-reddened eyes or blurry vision, sore throat, nose and throat irritation, shortness of breath and skin irritation. Other, less common effects are nervous system problems (headaches, memory loss, and moodiness), aches and pains, and fever. If residents of a home have any of these symptoms, and the symptoms are reduced or completely gone when the person leaves the home, chances are they have been exposed to some sort of allergen or toxin, possibly from mold.

Keeping water out of your environment is essential to mold prevention. Routine preventative maintenance is the key to keeping your living and work space clean and clear of potential problem conditions. If you’d like more information about mold or other allergens, please visit the EPA’s web site at www.epa.gov/mold or call (800) 438-4318.


For more information, contact Scott at www.scottsauer.com.




Boulder City Magazine®
P.O. Box 61901
Boulder City, Nevada 89006
Phone (702) 294-1392 Fax (702) 294-1392
E-mail: info@bouldercitymagazine.com



Web Site Design by Appleby Arts
Copyright © 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 - Boulder City Magazine - All Rights Reserved
E-mail Web Master at: webmaster@bouldercitymagazine.com

Disclaimer