|Boulder City History
by Roseanne Shoaff, Manager
Boulder Dam Hotel
History For Sale Again
One of Boulder City’s most prominent historic buildings, currently the Well Spring Retreat Center, is for sale. In case you’re worried about the future of this important site, you might be comforted by the diverse history of this vital structure.
Boulder City Magazine®
|Built in August of 1931 as the Six Companies Hospital to treat workers on Hoover Dam, the building has undergone several transformations over the years. Serving as a hospital for only seven years, the National Park Service transformed the structure into a museum. However, it was needed as a hospital once again in 1954 as Boulder City had grown significantly. In 1964, the final wing addition was made to the hospital and operation continued until 1967. At that time the decision was made to build a new hospital and the building was closed.
The building remained dormant until 1979 when The Sisters of Charity acquired ownership of the old hospital. During the next 21 years, The Episcopal Nuns operated a retreat center which served as a multi-denominational place for prayer and recuperation. According to the Las Vegas Sun in an article written in 2000, the building “served high school students for retreats, and homeless people, recovering alcoholics, and hospice patients that had been taken in by the nuns.” Under the direction of the Sisters of Charity, the retreat won several awards for its years of service to Boulder City.
Then in 2000, the facility became too difficult for the nuns to maintain and was sold to the Orthodox Church in America who have continued the building’s use as a retreat center. The building (the first Boulder City structure to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places) is once again for sale and, although these historic structures require a significant commitment to maintain, they are valued as landmarks and often attract investors intrigued by the building’s history and roll in the community.
On behalf of the Boulder City Museum and Historical Association.
P.O. Box 61901
Boulder City, Nevada 89006
Phone (702) 294-1392 Fax (702) 294-1392
Web Site Design by Appleby Arts
Copyright © 2004 - 2009 - Boulder City Magazine - All Rights Reserved
E-mail Web Master at: firstname.lastname@example.org